Today, thousands of people practice yoga in various parts of the world, though only a few make it a crucial part of their life or actually living the yoga lifestyle. Now, one can say if I am practicing it then it is evidently a vital part of my life.
Well, it is not completely untrue that it is part of your life but here I am talking about not just practicing yoga but living it. I am not talking about giving it a few minutes or hours from your day, I am talking about making yoga your day or in short, living the yoga lifestyle.
Difference between Practicing Yoga and Living Yoga Lifestyle
You do not need to be confused, let me elaborate. What I meant by “making yoga your day” is to sew your day-to-day activities with yoga. Practicing yoga for a few minutes and living yoga for the whole day are two completely different things.
Living the yoga lifestyle means to run your life on the basis of yogic principles. It signifies the importance of yoga off the yoga mat and how one can benefit from it beyond physical advantages.
Understanding with an Example
If you are still perplexed by the concept of living the yoga lifestyle then consider this example.
A man worships and offers his prayers to God daily. Clearly, he does that daily for a few minutes and not for the whole day. In his entire day, he helps needy people, he does not eat meat, he does charity, he doesn’t get angry unnecessarily and other selfless deeds. You can argue that these are the basic things that any nice human being will do but this is not the point. The point is if the man will do the opposite of everything after worshipping his God, like being mean and selfish, then there is no implication of his devotion and prayers. Then his prayers offerings are just a mere ritual and nothing else.
However, when he does all the good things according to his understanding of God, he feels more engaged. He feels more enriched in his life and it is not because he prays daily. It is due to the essence of prayers he executes in his life. The same thing is with adapting the yoga lifestyle. When you are living the yoga lifestyle than just practicing it for a few minutes, the transformation is revolutionarily life changing.
The above example is just for the comprehensive purpose of the topic and not to associate Yoga with religion.
In the words of Tara Fraser: “Methods and purposes of yoga are universal, relying not on cultural background, faith or deity, but simply on the individual”
How to Make Yoga a Living Lifestyle
Making yoga a living lifestyle is not an instant process. It is a gradual and steady process.
As Cybele Tomlinson once said, “Yoga is about clearing away whatever is in us that prevents our living in the most full and whole way. With yoga, we become aware of how and where we are restricted — in body, mind, and heart — and how gradually to open and release these blockages. As these blockages are cleared, our energy is freed. We start to feel more harmonious, more at one with ourselves. Our lives begin to flow — or we begin to flow more in our lives.”
- To live a yoga lifestyle, you don’t have to reside in a hut or ashram far from your home.
- Yoga lifestyle is about the choices you make and not about spending money unnecessarily to live life yogic way.
- Keep your food light and healthy. People also use organic and vegan food habits to purify their system and make it healthy.
- Keep a friendly attitude and be compassionate to others.
- Practice your yoga asanas regularly.
- Karma yoga is very important in living a yoga lifestyle. Karma can be considered as a deed as well as the consequence of the deed. Keeping your actions fine will help you to be persistent in living the yoga lifestyle.
Reasons to Make Yoga a Living Lifestyle
People pursuing a yoga lifestyle might be new for today’s era but traditionally it has always been there. Yoga, Spirituality, and Divinity were part of life which were interconnected. Yoga was never about only poses and asanas conventionally. It has always been a lifestyle though for our convenience in the current time, we acquired what we found relevant.
There is a number of reasons to explain why one should live a yoga lifestyle. Some of them are as follows:
- Yoga lifestyle helps to accomplish the ultimate equilibrium and synchronization among body, mind, and soul.
- It educates you to live mindfully. It means to live each and every moment to the fullest and not sinking down to the past or future. As someone rightly said, “Yoga takes you to the present moment. The only place where life exists.”
- It calms and soothes the brain and makes it more efficient.
- It deeply affects mental health. It provides mental strength, emotional stability, and inner contentment.
- It fills an individual with positive vibes and energy.
- Yoga lifestyle gives amazing physical appearance and strength due to its particular diet.
What If You Fail
If you can live a yoga lifestyle then it is incredible. One can certainly make an effort towards it though no one should get demotivated if you fail. As I mentioned earlier, living the yoga lifestyle is a gradual course of action and you will eventually reach there.
As B.K.S. Iyengar said, “Yoga is a light, which once lit will never dim. The better your practice, the brighter your flame.”